Waskesiu Foundation - Enhancing the Waskesiu Experience
A registered charity supporting recreational, social, cultural and environmental activities that enhance the Waskesiu experience
This policy (this “Policy”) is intended to establish guidelines for conduct required of all directors and officers of
The Waskesiu Foundation Inc. (the “Foundation”). The objective is to assist directors and officers of the
Foundation to more effectively fulfill their statutory and fiduciary obligations and maintain a reputation for the
highest standards of trust and confidence in serving the interests of all Foundation donors and stakeholders.
The following guidelines are not intended to be exhaustive. If issues outside the explicit guidelines arise, they
should be addressed in accordance with the general principles in this document or through the exercise of sound
business and ethical judgment. These guidelines are supplementary to any statutory or common law duties and
obligations, or any other standards of conduct applicable to directors and officers of the Foundation.
As a director and/or officer of the Foundation, I agree to the following principles and responsibilities governing my conduct:
I acknowledge that:
(i) act honestly and in good faith with a view to the best interests of the Foundation;
(ii) exercise a degree of care, diligence and skill that a reasonable person would exercise in comparable circumstances; and
(iii) promptly disclose any interests in material contracts or proposed material contracts, or any other actual or potential conflict of interest, in accordance with the Foundation’s Conflict of Interest Policy, as the same may be adopted and/or amended from time to time by the Board.
At all times, I will, subject to the provisions of applicable law, respect the confidentiality of sensitive or other confidential information acquired in the course of my duties, whether as a director or as an officer of the Foundation. In addition, I will at all times observe the provisions of applicable law protecting the privacy of personal information about individuals.
I specifically agree to adhere to and advocate the following principles and responsibilities governing my conduct as a director or officer of the Foundation:
1. I will at all times act with honesty and integrity.
2. I will avoid actual and apparent conflicts of interests with respect to the Foundation. A conflict of interest occurs when an individual's “private interest” (as defined pursuant to the Conflict of Interest Policy) interferes with - or even appears to interfere with - the interests of the Foundation as a whole.
3. When any issue arises that may present an actual or apparent conflict of interest, I will promptly disclose that issue in accordance with the Foundation’s Conflict of Interest Policy.
4. When acting on behalf of the Foundation, I will comply with all applicable laws and regulations and, where appropriate, with applicable rules, policies and procedures imposed by public regulatory agencies.
5. When acting in the capacity as a director and/or officer of the Foundation, I will act as appropriate to ensure the Foundation complies with such applicable laws, regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
6. I will use best efforts to ensure that all confidential information of the Foundation, that of its Member(s), and confidential information of entities or individuals making donations to, or seeking grants, funding or other assistance from, the Foundation, is not used by me in any individual capacity except as specifically approved and permitted by the Board.
7. I will deal fairly with those with whom the Foundation works, including the Waskesiu Community Council, the Government of Canada, Parks Canada Agency, representatives of Prince Albert National Park, Members of the Foundation, and those entities or individuals making donations to, or seeking grants, funding or other assistance from, the Foundation.
8. I embrace the principle that no one representing the Foundation should take unfair advantage of another through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation, or any other practice of unfair dealing.
9. I will use best efforts to protect the Foundation’s assets, to ensure that its funds are prudently invested, and to ensure their efficient use and, within the scope of my responsibilities as a director and/or officer of the Foundation, will also use best efforts to ensure that the Foundation’s assets are only used for legitimate purposes in keeping with the Foundation’s objects and in keeping with its mandate as a registered Canadian charity.
10. I recognize that, as a director or officer of the Foundation, I will proactively promote ethical behaviour.
11. When in doubt about the best course of action in a particular situation, I will encourage open discussion and communication and share all relevant concerns and information with the Board through its Chair and/or Vice-Chair.
I understand that I will be individually accountable to the Foundation for adherence to the requirements of this Code of Conduct.