Waskesiu Foundation - Enhancing the Waskesiu Experience
A charitable organization supporting recreational, social, cultural and environmental activities that enhance the Waskesiu experience
High Speed Internet for Waskesiu - An Opportunity
Waskesiu has an exciting opportunity to have SaskTel high speed DSL internet services up and running by June of 2018.
What this means
- The high speed DSL service will be the same as high speed services currently being offered by SaskTel in Saskatchewan’s cities.
- Businesses and seasonal residents will have the opportunity to subscribe to wired internet service over telephone lines and can add their own routers for personal wireless internet..
Because Waskesiu is a seasonal community, to make it viable, SaskTel’s business case requires at least 30 full time subscribers plus $105,000 of community capital towards the installation cost.
What has already been done as of October 10
- 49 households and businesseshave indicated their interest in subscribing full time.
- 122 seasonal households have indicated their interest in seasonal subscriptions.
- Significant financial pledges have been received from Parks Canada Agency, the Waskesiu Seasonal Residents Association, the Waskesiu Community Council, the Waskesiu Chamber of Commerce/Hotel Levy Group, and individuals from the community.
- A follow-up meeting was held with SaskTel in mid-October. Updates were given regarding the numbers of interested subscribers plus community funds raised and pledged. See ‘Next Steps’ below.
- SaskTel is reviewing the information provided at the mid-October meeting. A further meeting with SaskTel is planned later in October at which time it is expected SaskTel will confirm the credits for the interested business, full-time and seasonal subscribers plus the additional funds required from the community.
How you can help
- Please make a donation or pledge towards the capital cost of the high speed internet.
- Thank you to those who have donated. We still need approximately $12,000 as of October 10 towards our $20,000 fundraising target.
- Donations can be made by credit card using the Waskesiu Foundation’s Online Donation Form. Choose "High Speed Internet" from the Fund drop down menu. Or mail a cheque to the Waskesiu Foundation at PO Box 242, Saskatoon, SK, S7K 3K4.
- Receive a charitable donation receipt from the Waskesiu Foundation for any donation over $25.
- Pledges can be made using the Foundation’s Contact Form. Indicate the amount pledged and date to be paid.